Who Will Be the Dancing Queen?

West Branch Performing Arts prepares to hold auditions for the spring musical.
Image/Graphics by Music Theatre International, Inc.
The musical banner for the adapted theatre production of Mamma Mia!

Get those dancing shoes and singing vocals ready because West Branch Performing Arts will hold auditions for their spring musical, Mamma Mia!, on December 21st, at 6:45 p.m. in the high school auditorium.

Mamma Mia! is a jukebox musical written by British playwright Catherine Johnson, based on songs recorded by the Swedish group ABBA and is packed full of heavy singing and dancing.

The story takes place on a mythical Greek island in the present time and centers around a young girl named Sophie who dreams of a white wedding, with her father giving her away at the altar. The problem is that she does not know the identity of her father, and she is getting married the next day. As the show begins, she explains to her friends that her mother, Donna, fell into the arms of three men in the same short time. She has three possible dads and has invited them all to the wedding. 

Drama advisor Dee Epps, assisted by senior Raven Myers, is directing the show. Myers expressed enthusiasm about the upcoming auditions; Mamma Mia! is an incredible show and I am very excited for it to be my senior show. I always tear up when I think about the new performers that will step out and perform for the first time. It is such a bittersweet feeling to realize this is the beginning of a passion for them, while mine is coming to an end. The drama department has been a home for all those involved, and we cannot wait to welcome in more and reunite with previous cast members.” 

The performing arts department announced Mamma Mia! as their upcoming spring musical shortly after receiving district approval and appropriate copyrights.

Audition packets will be available in the high school office next week. Reach out to Raven Myers at 230209@westbranch.org for any questions or concerns.